Opera: By Voice Alone
Competition Rules and Guidance
The competition is operated by By Voice Alone Ltd (referred to as By Voice Alone below) and Audition Oracle Limited is providing administration services to By Voice Alone for the purposes of the competition.
Please read these rules and guidance carefully. By entering the competition, you acknowledge that you have read these rules and guidance and will comply with them, and accept any determination made by the competition panel and the By Voice Alone organisation.
The competition is open to all singers eligible to work in the British Isles – i.e. those singers able to work in the UK or Ireland at the time of application. You shall be required to provide a copy of your passport or other documents to prove your current eligibility to work in the British Isles. It is the competitor’s responsibility to ensure they have all the necessary paperwork.
We welcome all singers with disabilities and all current competition venues have disabled access. Please let us know at the time of application if you will require any assistance and what assistance you require.
All items presented must be chosen from the operatic repertoire and all pieces must be sung in their original key and language.
Repertoire for the first round, the Blind Audition, must be submitted with application. Pieces for the subsequent two rounds must be submitted no later than 14 days before the commencement of each of those rounds. Any changes of repertoire must be submitted no later than four days before the commencement of the relevant round.
Competitors intending to use the By Voice Alone accompanist must provide clean, clear music for the accompanist on the day.
Travel Expenses and Accommodation
The Competitor shall bear the cost of all travel expenses and the cost of accommodation to attend the auditions and the final of the competition.
Singers unable to attend the Blind Audition may submit a sound recording of two pieces with piano or orchestral accompaniment. No sound files recorded to backing tracks will be considered. These must be uploaded via the www.auditionroacle.com website at the time of application.
All singers submitting recordings for the Blind Audition stage must be available to attend subsequent stages and perform in person. All recordings must be true and fair representations of the singer’s live performance and contain nothing but their performance i.e. no identifying speech, spoken introduction etc. All pieces must have been recorded within the last six months and should be unedited.
An accompanist will be provided for each of the competition rounds. You may provide your own accompanist (at your own expense) if you wish but you must inform the competition organisers no later than seven days before the commencement of the relevant round – details of your accompanist must be provided at this point. Any change to any accompanist you wish to use must be notified as soon as possible.
Application and Closing Date
Application fees: £35
A non-refundable application fee to By Voice Alone is payable upon application by all competitors. There are a limited number of application slots where the fee will be waived for singers that have financial constraints that would prevent them from applying. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to state your case.
Applications should be made through the Audition Oracle website. By Voice Alone will not accept applications by any other means. You will not need to be a premium member of Audition Oracle to apply and can register for a free guest account here: www.auditionoracle.com/singers
Applications will open on the 1st February 2019
The closing date to reserve a live audition slot is midnight 28th February 2019. The closing date for recorded submissions is midnight the 31st March 2019
All applications must include:
- Completed application form: direct link will be added here on the 1stof February.
- Payment of the applicable fee via the application system or by bank transfer
- Photo suitable for publicity purposes – this must be available from/uploaded to your Audition Oracle singers’ profile
- Up to date CV – this must be available from/uploaded to your Audition Oracle singers profile
- Your choice of audition slot/s – singers must indicate their preference on the application form
- A copy of your passport or other documents to prove your eligibility to work in the British Isles at the time of application
Please take care when selecting your audition slot, should you later be unable to attend at your chosen time all reasonable efforts will be made to enable you to attend at another time but this is not guaranteed. Please contact the organisers as soon as you are aware there may be a problem.
*If the volume of applications reaches a certain number before the closing date given above, By Voice Alone reserves the right to close applications – early application is recommended
Prizes are offered as follows:
- First prize £2,000
- Second prize £750
- Audience Prize £750
- Emerging Artist Award £500
- Raw Talent Encouragement Award 2 x £500
We hope to be able to offer larger financial awards and additional prizes/opportunities – prizes are awarded at the jury’s discretion.
Programme and Repertoire Requirements
Round 1 – Blind Audition
Prepare three contrasting arias from the operatic repertoire in the original language and key. Repertoire to be provided in advance. You will be required to sing one aria of your choice. The panel may or may not wish to hear a section of a second aria.
Round 2 Panel Audition & competition Jury
Please prepare three arias – which should include the aria you sang in round one. Repertoire to be provided in advance. You will be required sing one aria of your choice. The panel may or may not wish to hear further arias or sections there-of.
A programme of ten minutes per singer. At least one aria should be different from those presented in round two.
Auditions are scheduled as follows:
Round One: Blind Audition – Sunday 17th, Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th March 2019, National Opera Studio, Wandsworth
You should choose three pieces none of which should exceed five minutes in length – you may be stopped if they do. The panel will hear one aria of your choice and they may or may not choose an extract of either of your second or third choices. Although this is a blind audition, all pieces should be performed from memory. For the blind audition singers need not dress formally – please wear whatever you feel most comfortable performing in.
Singers will perform their pieces behind a screen. As in this round the panel will be judging each singer’s performance By Voice Alone. No attempt should be made to speak to or respond to the panel. Any questions or concerns the singer has should be discussed with the organisers before or after the audition and not within the audition room. Singers shall only be required to perform behind a screen for the first round; for subsequent rounds singers will perform in front of the panel in the customary manner.
Around thirty singers will be chosen from the blind auditions and invited to attend the second round – the Panel Audition in front of the competition jury. These singers will be contacted as soon as possible after the end of the first round auditions. Competitors who are unsuccessful at the blind audition stage shall be notified at a later date.
Round Two: Panel Audition – Wednesday 1st May, National Opera Studio, Wandsworth
The singers chosen from the Blind Auditions will be invited to attend the Panel Audition. Singers should bring a programme of three contrasting arias. Items from the Blind Audition may be repeated in the Panel Audition and should include the aria sung in round one. The singer will select their first piece to perform – the panel will choose the second.
Singers for the second round will be allocated a slot at random, to be notified as soon as possible after the Blind Audition. Please ensure you are available for the whole of the day when you apply. If an issue arises regarding your Panel Audition slot please inform us as soon as possible. We will make reasonable efforts to accommodate a change in slot but this is not guaranteed.
At the conclusion of the Panel Audition 5 – 8 finalists will be chosen and to attend the final round: Competition Final. If you are not a finalist but have won one of the Raw Talent prizes you’ll receive your award at the Competition Final. Finalists will be contacted as soon as possible after the end of the second round auditions. Winners of the raw talent award prizes will also be contacted after this date.
For rounds one and two singers should arrive 10 minutes before their audition slot. A warmup/practice room will be provided. Please be punctual but don’t arrive very early as there is limited room to accommodate waiting singers, similarly please be respectful to your colleagues and do not linger following your audition. Unfortunately, it will not be possible for you to run through your pieces with the pianist before your audition slot.
If you are delayed on the day of your audition please text and call the organisers as soon as possible on the mobile number provided (this will be given to competitors nearer the time), providing your name and expected arrival time. Similarly, if you are ill or for some other reason are unable to attend please text and call the organisers as soon as possible, letting us know whether you expect to attend. Please be sure to leave your name on any texts sent or answer phone messages left. Reasonable efforts will be made to fit you into the schedule, either on the same day or any subsequent blind audition date, but this is not guaranteed and no refunds can be given.
Competition Final – 7.30pm Monday 20th May 2019, Kings Place, London
Finalists should choose a programme of ten minutes. Finalists must perform at least one aria different from those performed in the second round.
The Competition Final will conclude with the announcement of the winners and the presentation of prizes. Financial awards will be made by bank transfer within 31 days.
General and Broadcast Terms and Conditions
- All materials submitted including photos become the property of By Voice Alone
- By Voice Alone shall have the world rights to film, record and broadcast on radio or television or any other existing or future recording, reproducing and/or broadcasting audio-visual means the performances of the competitors. You hereby consent to such filming, recording and broadcast of your participation in the competition by By Voice Alone and:
- You hereby assign to By Voice Alone absolutely all the copyright and other rights (including without limitation all performers’ property rights under Part II of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (CDPA) and irrevocably grant to By Voice Alone any and all rights necessary to allow By Voice Alone to make and use its recordings without any restriction in any media existing now or in the future, throughout the world for the purposes of the competitor or otherwise, for the duration of such rights;
- You irrevocably grant to By Voice Alone the unlimited right to edit, copy, alter, add to, adapt or translate its recordings and film of you in the competition; and
- You hereby waive irrevocably all moral rights which you have now of in the future in connection with your performances in the competition and recordings made by By Voice Alone, including without limitation any rights under section 77 to 85 inclusive of CDPA or any similar law in any jurisdiction.
- You consent to the use of your name, image, biography, interviews and photographs of you by By Voice Alone for the purposes of the competition.
- You agree to take part in any publicity for the competition.
- The organisers reserve the right to refuse any entry and return the entry fee without giving reason
- The administrator has the right to edit any competitor’s biography/CV as appropriate for inclusion in the printed programme for the Competition Final
- Prizes are awarded (and may be withheld) at the jury’s discretion
- The organisers reserve the right to record or broadcast any part of the Competition Final without payment to the competitors
- By Voice Alone cannot accept liability to you for any loss or injury to you or your property arising in connection with your participation in the Competition howsoever caused, unless caused by the negligence of By Voice Alone and recoverable on that ground.
- The details given herein are correct at the time of publication but the organisers reserve the right to alter the arrangements as occasion demands with any amendments notified on the website, which you should check periodically
- Panellists for each stage of the competition are subject to change
- Competitors who do not comply with the competition rules will be disqualified. By Voice Alone reserves the right to deny or cancel entry to the competition at any point in the unlikely event that any singer is deemed inappropriate, commits any defamatory act, or brings By Voice Alone into disrepute.
- The chair’s decision on all matters is final
- Force Majeure – By Voice Alone reserves the right to suspend or terminate the performance of its obligations when certain circumstances beyond their control arise, or which make performance inadvisable, commercially impracticable, illegal, or impossible, such as war, riots, terrorism, fire, flood, lightning, explosion, strikes, protests, lockouts, slowdowns, prolonged shortage of energy supplies, and acts of state or governmental action prohibiting or impeding any party from performing its respective obligations in delivering any stage of the competition.
- These Rules and Terms and Conditions shall be construed in accordance with English Law. The Courts of England and Wales shall have the sole jurisdiction in relation to any dispute arising under these Rules and Terms and Conditions.
Any enquiries prior to the competition should be sent to email@example.com. Mobile contact details to be used during the competition rounds will be provided to all contestants in due course.
Competition Privacy Notice
This privacy notice (and any other documents referred to on it) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us in relation to the By Voice Alone Opera Competition (the Competition), will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Our contact details
By Voice Alone Ltd
Registered in England and Wales: company registration number 11637237
Registered Office: 20-22 Wenlock Road, London, England, N1 7GU
Data Manager: Melanie Lodge
What type of information we collect from you
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We collect the following personal data:
- Identity Data includes first name, last name, title, age group and gender identity.
- Contact Data includes correspondence address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Details of your qualifications.
- Details of your professional engagements.
- Sound files of you performing.
By you completing our Equality & Diversity Monitoring Form, we collect the following special category personal data. Special Categories of Personal Data include details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation and information about your health.
We collect the following special category personal data:
- Details of your nationality.
- Your gender identity
- Details of any disability.
- Details of your ethnicity/race.
- Details of your religion.
How do we collect the information and why do we have it
We collect personal information from you completing our application form and Equality & Diversity Monitoring Form. We also collect personal data from you from your interactions with us during the Competition, whether by email, telephone or in person.
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you, by accepting you as a competitor in the Competition.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
- In relation to your special category data, we shall anonymise this data as soon as possible following collection. We only use this special category data with your explicit consent, which you can withdraw at any time by contacting us.
These are the legal basis on which we process your personal information.
What do we do with the information
We use your information for the following purposes:
- To register you as a competitor in the Competition.
- To fulfil our obligations under the Competition Rules, by contacting you following auditions.
- To assist you to attend and take part in auditions and the final.
- For equal opportunity monitoring purposes.
- For promotional purposes for the Competition.
We share your information with certain third parties such as:
- Audition Oracle Limited, a company which is providing administration services in order for competitors to submit our application form, monitoring form and make payment of the application fee.
- We may need to provide limited personal data to venues, parties who assist us with auditions and to the Competition Jury.
We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
How we store your information
We store your information electronically using a secure website and by using appropriate security measures to protect it. We do not transfer your personal data outside of the European Economic Area. We shall keep your personal data for the duration of the Competition. Following the end of the Competition your personal data will be deleted.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
Your right of access– You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
Your right to rectification– You have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
Your right to erasure– You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
Your right to restriction of processing– You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances.
Your right to object to processing– You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances.
Your right to data portability– You have the right to ask that we transfer the information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you. Please contact us using the contact information above if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data. The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113